|The Security Council unanimously adopted resolution 2059.|
Susan Rice, Permanent Representative of the US to the U.N.
converses with her Russian counterpart, Vitaly Churkin,
prior to the vote. 20 July 2012 (Click on picture)
"United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland:
Commending the efforts of the United Nations Supervision Mission in Syria (UNSMIS),
1. Decides to renew the mandate of UNSMIS for a final period of 30 days, taking into consideration the Secretary-General’s recommendations to reconfigure the Mission, and taking into consideration the operational implications of the increasingly dangerous security situation in Syria;
2. Calls upon the parties to assure the safety of UNSMIS personnel without prejudice to its freedom of movement and access, and stresses that the primary responsibility in this regard lies with the Syrian authorities;
3. Expresses its willingness to renew the mandate of UNSMIS thereafter only in the event that the Secretary-General reports and the Security Council confirms the cessation of the use of heavy weapons and a reduction in the level of violence by all sides sufficient to allow UNSMIS to implement its mandate;
4. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the Council on the implementation of this resolution within 15 days;
5. Decides to remain seized of the matter."
Follow me on twitter @NabilAbiSaab